May 11, 2011

Lit: The Happiness Project

I've finished reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin.  It was a great read and inspired me to think back to what made me happy when I was younger.  This random list is from as early as I can remember it to high school- but not in sequential order.  Good luck deciphering! 
  • Hide-and-Go Seek!  Massive game...anywhere from 5-20 neighborhood kids, at night, game was not over until everyone was found.
  • Listening to the Beastie Boys on my "boom box."
  • Taking the bus to the 163rd Street Mall and watching the break dancers in the parking lot.
  • Playing Barbies.  Different story every day.  The yellow elevator never worked on my townhouse but it was fun.  We used to take album covers...the ones that folded out into a tri fold...to make studio apartments.
  • Walking on the boardwalk- when it wasn't for exercise.  This was before we had our license. 
  • Making home movies dancing and singing to Pearl Jam.  Wearing flannel shirts and thinking we were hard core.
  • Head banging to Guns-N-Roses...wearing tight jeans and black eyeliner...thinking we were hard core.
  • Rides to school with KM, hanging out on WG base, arguing over the Ouija board.
  • Grease.  Grease.  Grease.  It really was The Word.
  • Saving up 100 pennies to chase down the Mr. Softy truck.  We never knew when he was coming.  Was heartbreaking if you only had 99 pennies.
  • Collecting Garbage Pail Kids!
  • Chorale
  • Stickers- loved the oily ones that you could squish and the colors would move.
  • Reading.  Loved the Babysitters Club.  Remember reading a cheerleading series that I have tried and tried to find again.  I remember one character was Patrick and he drove a garbage truck.  Megan (?) was the good cheerleader.  Angie/Angela was overweight.  Preston (?) male cheerleader drove a Porsche.  Vanessa was a wanna-be and manipulative and once made Megan think that she broke a vase.  Seriously...does anyone know this series?
  • V.C. Andrews and Stephen King FREAKED ME OUT.
  • I liked to make stuff.  My favorites was to take a piece of clear tape and color on it with a marker.  Then (real fast!) drop Elmer's Glue.  Let it dry and then peel it off.  Instant treasure.
  • I had an easy bake over.  Wasn't so easy.
  • Used to watch Wonder Woman like crazy.  My mom made me my own head band.  I would wear my Underoos, tie my mom up with my lasso of truth, and raid the cookie jar.
  • Played Pac Man on one of those restaurant video game tables while drinking Shirley Temples. 
  • I can still remember making my Dr. Seuss All About Me book.
  • Used to play school.  I gave the neighbor Robbie a detention because he was disgusting.
  • Loved to play dress up with my aunt's shoes!
  • My blankie!  It had silk on it.  (OK- this one was not in high school)
  • Riding down "death hill" on a three wheel bike.
  • Sleepovers at family members' houses.
  • Matching socks to my shirts!
I'm sure there is more...would love to hear yours!
Nostalgically Yours,
Dr. BT

No comments:

Post a Comment